French Orange Cream Tart


I didn't really have any expectations for this tart.  I kind of dragged myself into the kitchen to make it on Sunday afternoon out of a sense of obligation to the Alpha Bakers.  So you don't need to be in a great frame of mind to produce great baking, such is the glory of a Rose recipe.  Truly, if for no other reason than to secure this recipe, you should definitely immediately buy the Baking Bible.

The pastry is a Pate Sucree - a sweet cookie pastry.  The difference from the average run of the mill pate sucree is the turbinado sugar which gives it a great crunch in the finished product.

The filling is the perfect balance of orange and lemon and given depth from the cream and egg yolks.   I didn't opt for the caramalised sugar crust.  Even though I have carted a blow torch from country to country for the past 10 years, I am yet to find the right gas to fill it.  I am not even sure what to ask for.

The last forkful of this tart was a bit reading the last chapter of a great book.  You don't want it to end, but you want to enjoy every last bit of it.  Then the sense of bereavement that you will never eat/read anything as good ever again...  So whilst you can never eat or read it again with that first sense of wonder, then subsequent times will hopefully bring something new.   I think I am going to have a long and meaningful relationship with this recipe.

The photos are lost in that spinning coloured ball between computer and internet and once I work that out I will load them up.

EDITED to add - since this original version, I have made this tart twice more.  Do you know how much egg white I have in my freezer?  A lot.  The last time I made this I was a *little* distracted and unsurprisingly, made a few errors... happy errors as it turned out.  I cooked my pastry till quite dark, but not burned - that was the best pastry ever!  Second, I forgot to add in the reduced orange juice, until about 10 minutes into the baking.  Improvising as ever, I reduced it by about a third again until it was quite dark and viscous, and then swirled this in to the not yet set custard filling.  Sweet happy disaster, it was incredible.  It was amazing.  I can't even describe how good it was - definitely better than the original.  Hoping I can replicate those errors again.  I see my future will be a freezer full of egg whites!
 

Comments

  1. i think that the picture you load up, pretty sum it up, a great tasting tart you can't put the fork down...:-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree this is a great tasting tart. And like you, sometimes I feel like skipping a recipe but end up making it still due to the sense of obligation. Glad I didn't skip this. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Butane is what you fill kitchen torches with here in the US. I know just how you felt when you said you made the recipe out of a sense of obligation to the Alpha Bakers - I felt that way with the panettone, but it's been one of my favorite recipes from the book so far. So glad I made it. Anyway, If you get a chance, I finally posted my tart and would love if you stopped by.

    Patricia @ ButterYum
    http://www.butteryum.org/roses-alpha-bakers/2015/6/3/tbb-french-orange-cream-tart

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with you about the last bit of this tart being like the last pages of a great book. I'm hoping to find an excuse to make this one again, soon.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So glad you enjoyed this tart! It was sad to see the last piece depart.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's a great last paragraph!!! It is a wonderful tart recipe :) Butane is what we fill torches with in Australia too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. "Then the sense of bereavement that you will never eat/read anything as good ever again... "

    I'll never forget a meal in Newfoundland with my brother-in-law. He'd ordered a lobster, and as the meal went on, he appeared to get sadder and sadder. Finally, I asked him what was wrong, and he said, almost tearfully "I'll never eat something this good again."

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts